The RAPDP has the following functions:
- organising close co-operation between its members to encourage the sharing of ideas and experience on issues pertaining to their tasks;
- supporting states in preparing legislation on the protection of privacy and personal data, and in establishing data protection authorities;
- giving opinions and making statements on specific issues related to privacy and personal data protection;
- establishing a framework for consultation on the stakes and challenges concerning privacy and data protection which Africa faces;
- promoting African legal instruments on privacy and personal data protection and ensuring that they reflect the reality on the ground;
- co-operating with other African and international bodies and associations to entrench the right to privacy and personal data protection.