The Personal Data Protection Authority of Mali received on December 19 and 20, 2019 a delegation of the African Network of Personal Data Protection Authorities (RAPDP) led by its President Marguerite OUEDRAOGO BONANE, also President of the Committee on InformationTechnology and Freedoms (CIL) of Burkina Faso during a working and friendship visit. According to the president of the network, this meeting represents an important first step in a project that the delegation intends to carry out with the personal data protection authorities members of the network. The aim is to ask the authorities about the condition of data protection and to collect their concerns. Through this visit, the APDP had the opportunity to discuss the missions of the Network, namely:
- organizing close co-operation between its members to encourage the sharing of ideas and experience on issues pertaining to their tasks;
- supporting states in preparing legislation on the protection of privacy and personal data, and in establishing data protection authorities;
- giving opinions and making statements on specific issues related to privacy and personal data protection;
- establishing a framework for consultation on the stakes and challenges concerning privacy and data protection which Africa faces;
- promoting African legal instruments on privacy and personal data protection and ensuring that they reflect the reality on the ground;
- co-operating with other African and international bodies and associations to entrench the right to privacy and personal data protection.